Wednesday 22 April 2009

When you are new

We found this person to join our team and I will hand over my current job to him. I must admit that I have given no gift in choosing people. So I accepted HR advise to accept him as they find him friendly to deal with people. Throughout past 1 month plus training, I find it quite difficult to deal with. There was once I just couldn't control my anger and I talk to him in quite loud volume. I guess everyone else has turned their head over to see what is going on. I am trying to be very patient and talk nicely but that time I just can't bear it. I know all of us come from fresh, so I try not to make him difficult and try to guide him along. But the attitude he reacted just don't tell that he is a newbie. I wanted to tell him that you have yet to pass your 3 months probation period and you will be asses in order to get confirmation. We as colleugues has warned him on several things, but he just don't take it into heart.

From that I know some must things that a newbie shouldn't do:
1. Listen to radio or songs using ear piece as bosses are around -> don’t do just because you saw somebody is doing it.
2. Keep on asking other colleugues to send junk mail as you are very free -> you are given more free time because someone has considered you are new and should have more time to revise and explore what you have learned.
3. Taking your own smoking break -> doesn't mean you cannot smoke, just need to shorten the time
4. Play games -> no games in the office, this is basic rule I thought everyone should know
5. Ask everything to the one sit next to you -> you should write notes when you are being taught and refer to it when you are not sure. If you still cannot find from notes, ask the one who teach you and not disturb others
6. Disturbing others newbie -> other newbie from different department are busy learning new things
7. SMS when someone talk to you -> at this stage, you should concentrate on your new work
8. Forget what have been taught -> that’s why you need the notes to refer and remember

Things you need to do when you are still new:
1. take down eveything people had taught you and refer to it
2. take initiative to learn and ask when you see something you don't know
3. explore the existing files and folders, it help you to understand the operation
4. explore the system and ask if you are not clear
5. read through the email and understand the current issue involved

Sometimes I do rethink and they do have people judge me for being fierce. Everyone should know when you graduated and out for work, you are an adult and should take responsibility of yourself. We are all passed these stages before, it just depend on how you handle it. I will remind myself especially when I enter to a new firm as newbie. Not to do such things and learn as more as I can and explore to seek for new improvement.

No comments: